500g penne pasta
½ Tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
50g coconut sugar or brown sugar
700g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into small chunks (yielding about 500g chopped)
500ml vegetable stock
3-4 sprigs of thyme, leaves plucked from stems
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Parmesan cheese (or a vegan cheese alternative)
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, then stir in the pumpkin.
- Pour over the vegetable stock, sprinkle over the thyme leaves, lower the heat and simmer until the sauce is thickened and the pumpkin is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: divide penne into four pasta bowls, spoon over the pumpkin sauce, then using a vegetable peeler, add a few shavings of Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with pine nuts and tuck in!